Monday, January 08, 2007

notes from the first 2K7 weekending

Scorsese's direction of The Departed is stellar. A shot-gun-to-the head cast and profanely witty dialogue will keep your back riveted to the cinema seat as you're pounded with raggedly hemmed scenes that unravel to tell a tale of moles, rats, the lines that blur and the lies we tell to keep an even keel.

Just over a handful of fiendish bouchees from The Departed:
Frank Costello: When you decide to be something, you can be it. That's what they don't tell you in the church. When I was your age they would say we can become cops, or criminals. Today, what I'm saying to you is this: when you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?
---

Kneecapped Bankrobber: [after being shot in the knee] I thought you were supposed to go into shock! I'm not in shock! It fuckin hurts!
---

Fitzy: I don't believe it.
Mr. French: What can't you believe?
Fitzy: I spent all fucking night dragging the poor bastard in there. Tell me how they find him so fast? Somebody walking a fucking dog ? What fucking size a dog is that? Has to be a big fucking dog, man. I spent all night doing it man.
[pause, Frank stares at him]
Fitzy: I'm embarrassed. I still don't believe he was a cop, I don't believe it.
Frank Costello: The COPS... are saying he's a cop... so I won't look for the cop. Are you soft, Fitz? When I tell you... to dump a body in the marsh, you dump him *IN* the marsh. Not where some guy from John Hancock goes every Thursday, TO GET A FUCKING BLOWJOB!
[Fitzy laughs, Frank hits him]
Frank Costello: Don't laugh! This ain't Reality TV!
---

Billy Costigan: [Referring to Costello] Do you want him to chop me up and feed me to the poor, huh, is that what you want?
---

Oliver Queenan: All cell phone signals are under surveillance, due to the courtesy of our Federal friends over there.
Ellerby: Patriot Act, Patriot Act! I love it, I love it, I love it!
---

Providence Gangster #1: Come on Babu, I can't do any more. I can't go off, please don't make me go back empty handed. Please don't do this. I wanna help you.
Pakistani Proprietor: Come to my store next Friday. I'll give you the money...
Providence Gangster #1: This is Friday Babu, how many times I gotta tell you?
Pakistani Proprietor: You keep calling me Babu, it's 'Singh' motherfucker!
Providence Gangster #1: I'm trying to help you. Don't you understand?
Pakistani Proprietor: You keep on telling me 'I'm your friend'.
Providence Gangster #1: Yeah.
Pakistani Proprietor: You don't even know my fucking name!
---

Dignam: I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy.
---

The soundtrack to this weekend: John Mayer's Continuum, The Beatles' Love (remastered), Steve Vai's The Ultra Zone and Passion & Warfare. Holding original shiny prismatic cds in my hand made me feel a little less guilty about hacking mp3s off of the net. Baby steps.

---

Moment of Ick, Euww, Vomit Vomit: When a creepy middle-aged man gave me a lecherous once-over while walking with his wife, his eyes scanning my décolletage as if I were a Vegas showgirl and he was looking for the space to slip me a 50. I felt dirty for a full 30 minutes thereafter.

---

The desperate screech of rubber on tarmac, the smoke from a useless effort and the bang-boof as car kissed car with all the passion of S&M; hailed the first bumper bash witnessed this year. That and King O' The Road minibus taxi's stopping at whim on Jan Smuts Avenue. Yes, 2007 has made itself comfy.

13 comments:

the guy who writes this crap said...

hmm, i should watch that movie - some of those lines are almost Tarantino-esque.

please could you tell me: what is a "décolletage"? my innocent little mind boggles...

saaleha said...

cleavage.
and i wasn't even dressed immodestly.

Priya said...

I am simply itching to see that movie! You lucky devil for watching it already...
And as for the horny old man, you should have tramped his damn toes. Then tell his wife the reason for your actions. And then laugh at her reaction as he wriggles like a worm on a hook! Blech, I felt dirty reading it. Sanitise yourself, Saal, sanitise.

the guy who writes this crap said...

thanks for the enlightenment. now I can say "I love décolletage!"...nah, doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "Hooray for boobies!"

bibi-aisha said...

Eew-these men r disgustin!this man once hit on me with his kids in the car.on eid day -was in egypt- this guy tried pickin us up while we were waitin 4 a cab. Hav mor stories-dnt feel dirty saals.make him feel dirty. This othr 50 sumthin guy is stalkin my frnd 4ova a yr nw,n refuses to get the msg.and at once stage,he was into me. Puke! nw i really wan2 watch the movie too

arshad said...

salmz.
Hey sal how do u remember the dialogue word 4 word..
watched the Movie Last Nite..
Excellent stuff..


And As 4 the Old man..
lol
Give him a break..dont chop his head off.. heheheh.. u shod hav blown him a kiss and then seen his reaction..lol

arshad said...

sal hope u dont mind i ask bibi aisha sumtin here..


salmz BIBI AISHA
viewd ur profile nw and i c that u r 250yrs old,,
u shod b over the MOON if a 50 yr old guy is hitting on u.. u Cradle snatcher..lol... just joking
....

saaleha said...

a friend of mine gave me the same feedback, "blow him a kiss and watch his marriage crumble" :)

ah hell, bygones. death, taxes and dirty old men are life's constants.

no, i do not recall every single bit of dialogue, imdb.com helped :)
i just chose my favourite ones.

Muhammad said...

Scorses is pure genius, I can't believe he still hasn't won an oscar.

I was absolutely speechless after the movie, what I did love was how it played out like a shakesperean tragedy, complete with love, betrayal and confrontations.

and suspense like Fuck!

wow.

I'm stealing all your little quotations for my blog :P

The K-man said...

The Departed Rocked big time. the movie had everything and the brilliant scorsese touches were there for all to see. Leo dicaprio is one of the best leading men in hollywood at the moment in my opinion and has shed the pretty boy stereotype.

Dirty olf man ewww.

bibi-aisha said...

Sorry, saals- just replying to arshad- it really says im 250! no way! id better go change it!

mazozo said...

LOL ahh now im jealous im far away from any cinema dammit and i dig martin loved the aviator one of my fav movies of all time.

Sigh anyone wanna come pick me up from good old ladysmith and take me for the movie?(looks rely hopeful)

and as for the dirty old man let him be as the classic saying goes, "we always want what we cant have" i concur with arshad lol destroy him hehe maybe next time give hima heart attack or something lol

Farsh said...

"The Departed" gleams with scorsese’s immense artistry, maybe finally an Oscar for the fraught soul. Having said that in my humble opinion the movie lacks a certain appeal & intrigue that was evident in the original Korean flick “Infernal Affairs”.

I would seriously recommend or rather insist that you watch the Trilogy of Vengance by Chan-wook Park.

As for the Old Man, Maybe you were the ray of light to brighten up his dismal day

Profane. Profound. What's your poison?